Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best African Music Videos of 2011

Over at the content-rich blog Africa Is A Country, the site's posters are coming up with some end of the year "Best Of 2011" lists related to contemporary African media. Tom Devriendt, a human library of African music knowledge, has posted his list of the year's best African music videos. Now Tom, in addition to another of the blog's prolific posters Sean Jacobs, appears to me to be an indefatigable sampler of the full spectrum of African-influenced music. (How do these guys find videos before anyone else?) One of his inspirations for creating the list, he writes, is the dearth of African music videos on some of the web's top music sites. Culling from the hundreds of quality videos produced in the 55 African nations and the extensive diaspora, Tom has done a rather stellar job of putting together his top 10 music videos list.

As a connoisseur of African music videos myself and inspired by Tom/Africa Is A Country, I have also decided to curate my own list of the year's best videos emanating from African musicians. While Tom's list contains a few of my favorites, I'm going to highlight videos not mentioned by Tom.

1. Siji - Ijo
A Nigerian who has lived in Lagos, London and the United States, Siji offers up his pulsing beats as a backdrop for a dance competition in this video. The video features legit moves that appear to have catchy names like Boogalo, Pindrop, The Jerk, Fire Dance and Bata, while Siji serves as a competition judge. Making a cameo is Ade Bantu, an actor/musician who appears with Nneka in the film Relentless (one I wouldn't mind seeing). Here's a translation of the song's chorus courtesy of a commenter named "Omopupaa" on the youtube link:
E ju apa (Wave (throw) your hands)
E na ese (stretch your feet)
E mi ori (Shake your head)
E dide k'e mu 'jo jo (Get up and dance)



2. M.anifest - Suffer
Ghanaian M.anifest flows so smooth as he walks through the dusty streets of Accra. The line that always gets stuck in my head in this song is, "If you got a name like Muhammed or Mustapha/ Flyin' might be tougher/ My sympathies brother". M dot dot also appears with K'naan and Mulatu Astake on Africology's "Addis Soul Vol. 1" mixtape. Producer DJ Juls, who has also worked with FOKN BOIS on a couple of mixtapes this year has made a remix of Suffer as well.



3. Stromae - Peace or Violence
From Belgium, but with roots in Rwanda, Stromae follows his hit Alors on Danse with the brilliantly edited Peace or Violence. Both songs are off his album, "Cheese". This video weaves together seamlessly scenes which resemble each other in composition, yet convey vastly different circumstances. Fantastic use of slow motion.


Stromae - Peace or Violence clip official by Nora_Amer

4. Stella Mwangi - Lookie Lookie
A Kenyan living in Norway, Stella blew up this year after she competed in the Norwegian Melodi Grand Prix Singing Contest with the song Haba Haba. Despite protests that she wasn't a real Norwegian, Haba Haba's inspirational lyrics were enough to win the hearts of a generation of young Norwegian girls as well as the contest prize, making her Norway's official entry into the 2011 Eurovision contest. Lookie Lookie on the other hand is little less wholesome. With its damn catchy rhythm, the video has Stella gettin' down and playing with her curls on a rooftop where she exhorts us to pour her a shot of Patron and make her twist and shout. This isn't the first time STL has been seen on a rooftop. Yeah, she can rap too.



5. TY Bello - The Future
Released right before the Nigerian Presidential elections in April 2011, this video is call to the Nigerian people to come together to overcome national challenges such as tribalism, corruption, poverty and insecurity. With the sincerity of her words and the moving images of Nigerians taking to the street in the name of unity (+ a cameo by Banky W), TY Bello succeeds in encouraging positive aspects of Nigerian nationalism. I'm sure MEND and Boko Haram even get a bit teary-eyed when they see this video. (Bonus points because TY Bello is also a photographer.)



6. Goldfish - We Come Together
This South African group comes together in the form of a litany of classic video games to save the lady goldfish from all kinds of evil foes that look like they come from the worlds Sonic the Hedgehog, Angry Birds, Garfield and Star Wars. Who doesn't like pixelated violence and piano samples?



7. Nneka - My Home
While Tom prefers the animated style of Nneka's Soul is Heavy video, I find her soul reveals itself heavier in My Home when she confronts the difficulties of various lifestyles across Nigeria's social strata. The video is directed by Clam Magazine founder Andy Okoroafor who also directed Nneka in his recent film "Relentless". For more Nneka watch the making of videos for her latest album Soul is Heavy. Damn that is a hot accent.



8. Lizha James - Nyandayeyo
Leave it to Moza Girl Lizha James to do it big as usual. Director DJ Marcell who produces most of the biggest videos in Mozambique and Angola delivers extravagant global imagery in this one. The video is dedicated to Angolan music producer I.V.M. beatz (creator of Windeck with Cabo Snoop) who passed away in February 2011 in a car accident.



9. Just A Band with Michel Ongaro, Jahcoozi, Gebrüder Teichmann - Away
Away is part of the expansive BLNRB project, an initiative sponsored by the Goethe-Institute that partners Kenyan and German musicians together. The video features an asian cinema introduction and gorgeous black and white cinematography set in a simple forest. A woman ruthlessly hunts down a man for an unknown item and leaves the viewer's mind littered with questions. Just A Band has had a string of impressive, conscious, creative videos with Usinibore, If I Could and of course, Kenya's best viral phenomenon Ha He. Long live Makmende!



10. Ntjam Rosie - Space of You
Netherlands-based Cameroonian Ntjam Rosie blends her smooth jazzy vocals with psychedelic visuals in this video that makes you wonder if (or wish) you are on something. The song's soothing baseline and sharp piano notes are solid companions to swirling neon particles and slow moving overlapping images of the singer in her funky threads. It's hard not to feel at peace with this song.



Honorable mentions:
Darey - Ba Ni Kidi
Fatoumata Diawara - Kanou
Zakes Bantwimi - Wasting My Time

Bonus. Stlofa featuring Mokoari Molimo oa Lesupa Tsela - Linja tsa Media
This video, straight out of the Kingdom of Lesotho, was shot in an abandoned police building in downtown Maseru by Jeremiah Mosese of Mokoari Street Films. Stlofa is one of the biggest acts in Lesotho among young people and he was one of the final 5 in this year's Lesotho Superstar singing competition (Lesotho's own American Idol style contest hosted by the legendary Tsepo Tshola, formerly of the group Sankomota.) The filmmaker, Jeremiah, is a friend of mine and he invited me to take photographs on the set of the video. Unexpectedly, I actually ended up shooting the parts of the video in which Jeremiah himself sings. The video opens with a few clips shot in Berlin that are part of Jeremiah's upcoming feature film "Red Drought" about a post-apocalyptic world in which a Union of African States gives foreign aid to a war-torn, water-scarce Europe. Look out for it soon.



For the record my favorites on the Africa Is A Country list are:
Spoek Mathambo - Control
Burkaka Som Sistema - Hangover (BaBaBa)
Blitz the Ambassador - Native Sun (short film)

Looking forward to what 2012 has to bring in the short, musical video format.

ZER

16 comments:

muzvid said...

HI,

Nice writing on Best Music Videos of 2011"

Thanks

xandimusic said...

Love this compilation! And of course, your blog is very, very nice!
Keep on and Peace!
xandi

Zachary said...

Hey @muzvid and @xandimusic, I'm tickled that you enjoy my list. I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for videos and beyond. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to visit this web site and reading the views of all friends on the topic of this article, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.

Here is my blog managingdirectors.in

Anonymous said...

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on various websites for about a year and am concerned about
switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!



Have a look at my web site: The web’s premiere DJ community

Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who was doing a little research on this.
And he in fact ordered me breakfast due
to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah,
thanks for spending the time to discuss this subject here on
your blog.

Feel free to surf to my web blog - http://community.healthissocial.com/

Anonymous said...

I've read some good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you put to create the sort of wonderful informative website.

My web page: solavei cell phone

Anonymous said...

I was recommended this blog by means of my cousin.

I'm now not positive whether this publish is written by way of him as no one else know such precise about my problem. You are incredible! Thanks!

my homepage ... firsttwist.com

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm
assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Also visit my webpage: http://blog.sylhetbestbazaar.com/

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web
page, for the reason that i want enjoyment, for the reason that
this this website conations really good funny material too.


Here is my web blog :: solavei

Anonymous said...

I have read so many articles regarding the blogger lovers but this article is really a fastidious piece of writing,
keep it up.

My homepage - Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble (Kim Viera Cover)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I may
return yet again since i have saved as a favorite it.
Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich
and continue to help others.

My blog The web’s premiere DJ community

Anonymous said...

Superb, what a web site it is! This webpage gives helpful information to us, keep it up.


my blog post: solavei

Anonymous said...

Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make
significantly articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and to
this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual put up incredible.
Excellent task!

Feel free to visit my site ... dev.dorevox.com

Anonymous said...

Hiya! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this
problem. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!


Feel free to surf to my weblog; http://revolutionpages.com

Anonymous said...

First of all I would like to say excellent blog! I had a quick question
which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips? Many thanks!

Here is my web-site - Kim Viera - I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor Swift Cover)