Tuesday, May 11, 2010

This Place is Cold.


Well, after 4 drudgerous flights I finally made it back safely to the small hamlet of Madison, having evaded the volcanic ash like a pro. That's right, I'm back in the land of freezing rain, celebrity zealotry and technological obsession. I'm sad to have departed from my beloved Gambia, but life goes on, doesn't it? But oh there were some wild and enlightening times.

I now have a couple of weeks ahead of me in which I can finally get back to doing some regular posting. Hopefully I can pluck a few things from my mind in that generous allotment of time. At this point, after living in the Gambia for two years I think I may be permanently confused by American pop culture. I stopped recognizing the bootlegged films being sold in Serrekunda a long time ago. The fresh young faces on the covers of entertainment magazines are completely unfamiliar to me. Somehow, I don't feel bad though, I'm the curator of my own cultural phenomena. I have a stellar Nigerian film poster collection, a wardrobe full of West African wax prints and woven clothes, some classic newspaper headlines involving witchhunts and more CDs and DVDs from Gambia, Senegal, Mali, and Guinea than I can even count.

Pop culture may be beyond me, but now that I have the world at my fingertips 24/7 I've been catching up on all international affairs news that I've been distant from. My channels for news consumption were limited in the Gambia because of the whole living in an isolated village thing. That was fun, but now I'm enjoying reading the hundreds of posts I missed on Google reader and downloading gigs of podcasts on itunes. And I'm excited for the 15 books I ordered on Amazon.com. I feel energized and I think it's time for me to make some contributions to the worldwide collective interlocution.

Oh and this place is cold.

No comments: