Monday, September 15, 2008

The Compound of Jah

No, I'm not dead, but the internet scene in my region is. Upcountry Gambia, however, remains a hot spot, despite its isolation from the world. We've been mighty busy out there hoeing up the fields and getting real dirty. I've been tending a new variety of dryland rice called ATM-3 that I'm a bit anxious to get back to, as it should be bearing fruit soon. The village crew and I have also been whiping up some local organic recipes to try and stay fit. Not fancy/trendy foods, but remedies for improving health and agricultural yields. We've got some cream made from the neem leaf that will protect you from mosquitos, a few compost piles with a smorgasbord of decaying materials sure to enrich the soil, an organic pesticide cocktail that is gaurenteed keep your garden protected and flourishing, and a delicious beverage known as rehydration solution consisting of sugar, salt and water that will replace and hold fluids in your body if you seem to be making a few more trips to the latrine than usual. I've got some adult literacy classes on the horizan and I may be able to contribute to the launch of a local credit union. So I'll be staying busy, not to mention the rice harvest.

When it comes doen to it I got a good situation going on. I have a few tales to tell here, but they wont reveal the whole story. You have to live it to really soak up the details. All the more reason to visit. I've been writing plenty, but most of my scrawl would be jibberish on a computer screen. Sometimes it's a bit too personal, sometimes its a bit too critical of the political environment and sometimes as I reread my writing I realize just how much my world view is evolving. So, no cause for alarm. But there is a cause to always think freely and creatively. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this place up and running now.

No comments: