Monday, March 24, 2008

a letter home

Zach hasn't been able to access the internet, but he did send a letter home, and I (Dad) have posted some excerpts.

"I am healthy and content. The Gambia is beautiful. I've already had many memorable experiences and made some good friends...My new experiences have opened my eyes to the cultures of Islam and West Africa at the village level...
"My Mandinka is coming along. I did well on my first of three language tests that I need to pass in order to swear in. Learning Mandinka has been great in facilitating communication between me and my host family. I have a great family...They have named me Ansoumana Yabo...
"As for the food, it is all quite good...I've managed to tolerate eating fish quite well and even come close to liking it on occasion. There are peanuts around as well and they make a great peanut sauce for the rice...
"I've had a chance to make it out to the local football field a couple of times to demonstrate my moves. The younger kids love playing with my ball until the sun goes down...
"The days are both long and short but regardless, I'm on my way to being on my own with my personal projects and goals. Hopefully I can send some pictures home soon and receive some prints in return. Also feel free to send more Black Warrior pencils, a small battery powered sharpener, as many Swedish Fish as you can, and whatever else could prove to be useful."

In case anyone was worried, Swedish Fish are on the way.

2 comments:

Smartphone said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

hey, i really enjoyed reading your blog. i am trying to learn mandinka myself, as my partner is from the gambia and i would like to be able to communicate better with his family (to impress them ;) ), i was wondering if you have any tips like on how to learn the language - did u find it easy? - ive downloaded mandinka-english dictionary/theasaurus/grammar texts, but im trying to work it out step by step... ta xxx