Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Kuamka na Kuanza


Today is an important day in African history and a fine day for a first post. 50 years ago on March 6th Ghana gained its independence from Britian, one of the first sub saharan countries to do so. It was led by the great Pan African leader Kwame Nkrumah who was a major proponent of a unified Africa.
BBC on Ghana


Last year on March 6th, one of the great, maybe the greatest, African guitarists Ali Farka Toure passed away. If you havent heard of him, he's worth a listen. I would recommend his latest album that he recorded just prior to his death called Savane. Savane was actually up for a gramy at the recent awards ceremony, but it was snubbed. He's one of those guys who never had a bad record however, so go and listen to anything of his and you will be pleased. His son Vieux Farka Toure is actually on tour now, riding on is fathers fame with a fresh album, I still haven't heard it so I dont know if the Ali's legacy is in good hands.
Savane

I have an interview with the Peace Corps on Thursday morning so I may be heading back to Africa after this academic year. I'm really excited about the possibilities. If I'm selected I will probably go back to eastern Africa where my swahili skills can be best used. Which country will it be though, Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania? I'm ready for two years abroad teaching, taking photos and experiencing real life.
Peace Corps

No comments: